What is Green or High-Performance Building?
Green building (also called High-Performance building), is more energy efficient and healthier: it creates a building that has been designed and constructed using green building principles. Green building is an integrated design and building process which recognizes that to build a structure that limits the use of natural resources, all elements of that structure must be synchronized. This “system” or “building-as-a-whole” approach is what makes a green building a high performance building: a building that is efficient, improves occupant health and provides a higher return-on-investment.
Building green is also a more sustainable building process, a process that minimizes the use of natural resources during the course of construction.
Here are the primary objectives of a green building:
- Position a building properly on the land
- Build an energy efficient envelope
- Optimize the use of renewable energy
- Limit the use of natural resources
- Improve occupant health and productivity
- Reduce waste and pollution
How do I Sift Through the Green Clutter?